Not the “F” Word.

One of my favourite people is my Rebelles from the Heart guest today. I’m going to let her do the introductions, since she starts her blog with her bio! Take it away Chris!

C.R. Grissom lives in San Jose, California—in the heart of Silicon Valley. She works for a high-tech company by day, and writes sports romance featuring college freshman at night. She has two sons in their teens who keep her busy screaming from the bleachers year-round at sporting events. Married for 23 years, she’s found her own HEA.

Mouthful, a 2017 Golden Heart® Finalist in the Young Adult category, is also a finalist in the 2017 Great Expectations and 2017 Stiletto Contests.

I write in first person, therefore composing a bio in third gave me a strange sense of déjà vu. Years ago, I briefly dated a man who referred to himself in the third person, much like Elmo does on Sesame Street. Which is adorable for a precocious red Muppet, not quite as charming for a full-grown adult, but I digress.

First person storytelling is as natural to me as drinking whisky poured neat. I enjoy it straight out of the bottle—being a low maintenance type of gal—at least in terms of alcohol consumption. I defy you to discover a method that requires less effort. One might remove the cap or cork and guzzle directly thereby omitting the need for a glass, but that kind of uncivilized behavior should only occur in desperation or extreme times of stress—like this morning whilst drafting this blog.

My road to the Golden Heart was paved with slippery curves, potholes and missing guardrails. I’m not wholly convinced my story, Mouthful, is a finalist in the Young Adult category of the Golden Heart. When I stop to contemplate its meaning for me, the f-word floats to the forefront of my brain. Not the naughty curse word, rather, the nasty one being drummed into my sub-conscious: fluke.

My evil self-critic whispered that word in my ear ad-nauseam following my Golden Heart call from Adrienne Mishel, of RWA Board fame. The main character of my Golden Heart entry suffers from negative body image. She has to overcome years of bullying in order to see herself as she really is, and stop using the perception of others to color her opinion of self. Like my character, I struggle to drown the ugly voice of self-doubt—rise above the negative noise—and continue to improve my craft. All in anticipation of the next roadblock or vista point along this crazy journey toward publication.

Receiving the call from Adrienne Mishel, will be a moment I’ll never forget. Seana Kelly, my friend and critique partner, who happens to be a two-time Golden Heart finalist from 2015-2016, explained that calls are made at nine a.m. from the Central time zone. Left Coast people don’t have to wait very long to know they’re not a contender.

Sometime after seven a.m., another good friend of mine, Christina Hovland, got the call. A Colorado resident, her time zone is one hour off from my own. When an hour had passed and my phone remained silent—at half-past eight, I killed all hope of being a finalist.

At eleven minutes before nine on March 21st, my cell phone rang. Adrienne Mishel had to listen to me babble about the fact I was dead certain it was too late for me to get the call, and that I’d already started crying in my beer. She laughed, and graciously repeated her name until I could type it out due to experiencing extreme shakes.

After the call, I was inducted into the most amazing band of Rebelles. We offer support and encourage each other regardless of the fact the markers along our writing journeys differ. No amount of chirping from my inner critic will chip away at this achievement. I take the time to remind myself that perhaps my final wasn’t a fluke after all.

I haven’t been able to completely silence the noise—but now I simply yell STFU (scaring the ever-living-crap out of all in my near vicinity). I should wear a warning sign that states, “Writer at work, please ignore any random screaming, swearing, hand gestures and/or caterwauling.”

Blink-Valley-Fair-color-2017-03-25-19-19-12-980-1547354-fullFollow C.R. Grissom: http://twitter.com/CRGRISSOMbooks or visit her website: http://crgrissombooks.com and sign up for her newsletter.

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “Not the “F” Word.

1. Seana Kelly says:

Whereas when I think of CR Grissom and Mouthful, the F-words that come to mind are flipping, fantastic, funny, and faithful friend. Also, foul-mouthed but that’s a different story.

Fabulous (see what i did there) blog and I can’t wait to cheer you and the other Rebelles on at RWA!

2. Tracy Brody says:

Love the idea of a heroine dealing with overcoming a negative body image. Very relatable!

No fluke when you final in the GH – you have to impress 4 out of 5 judges and those judges are other writers (aka the toughest critics.) So toast yourself with that scotch.

Liked by 1 person

3. Melonie says:

It has been such a treat to get to know you via social media and google chats, I cannot WAIT to hang out IRL! And of course, to arrange the meet-cute that shall be the beginning of the epic YA romance for our children 😉 Speaking of children, my daughter is at the tender place of early teen-dom and so much of her time and energy is spent worried about the opinions of others – I understand it and hate it at the same time. I look forward to the day I can buy a signed copy of your book to give her, I think these stories are important ones to tell – and I can wait to read yours!

Raising a glass – er, bottle – with you!

Liked by 1 person

• cgrissom says:

Melonie, girls tend to self-criticize, much more often than boys. I’ve raised two, confident young men and yet I still struggle with self-kindness. Silly and self-defeating. My niece is the one who stood in front of a mirror with me one day and catalogued all the things I hated about my body, she tore through each feature and said something positive. She asked me to really look at my body as though I were someone else. The idea for Mouthful took root in a dressing room. I wrote it in honor of a girl who overcame her own doubts and grew into a confident young woman. And I wrote for other girls who haven’t quite mastered this talent yet.

The meet-cute! LOL. I look forward to meeting you and your lovely family in Orlando. And I’m always up to raise a glass or bottle! ❤

4. Janet Halpin says:

You are so badass, knocking back the whiskey and telling self-doubt to STFU! I shall emulate you from now on (maybe not the whiskey part, but definitely the caterwauling). Write on!

Liked by 1 person

• cgrissom says:

Hey Janet,

Thanks for stopping by the blog! Anything works. Tequila. Vodka. LOL. Okay, even sparkling water because—you made it this far and you’re doing something amazing. Take time to applaud yourself, and recognize your achievement(s). That’s the most badass thing you can do for yourself!

I cannot wait to meet you in Orlando!

5. Renee Ann says:

I definitely have to agree with Seana. You are a fantastic person and writer with a great sense of humor. Mouthful isn’t a fluke. Kick your self doubt to the curb and celebrate this. I can’t wait to read your book when it’s published. Hugs!

Liked by 1 person

• cgrissom says:

Thank you, Renee!

I appreciate your kind words and for stopping by and leaving a comment on the blog. One of the many perks of the writing life is the people you meet—and not necessarily in the traditional sense. I have friends, like you, who I can’t imagine not being a part of my life, and we’ve never met in person. One day soon I hope that changes!