I’m a writer. A mom. A wife.
I’m Chinese-Canadian. A Londoner. A prairie girl.
I’m a rescue dog champion. A baker. An equal opportunity advocate. A passionate believer in tolerance and acceptance.
I’m also a former lawyer and hand knitting sock pattern designer.
I was born in Canada, but have lived more than half my life outside of it. Paris, Stockholm, Beijing, Hong Kong, and London have all counted as home at one time or another. London is now my home, but my prairie girl heart will always belong to Canada.
I came to writing late. I’ve always been an avid reader, but it wasn’t until I was about to start lawyering that an idea for a story planted itself in the back of my mind. That idea germinated for the next 12 years until one day, I sat down and began to write the story that became Soul Affinity, my first completed novel.
When I was in my thirties I taught myself to knit and became so obsessed I became a sock pattern designer, yarn dyer, and knitting conference organiser. I still have a scary stash of yarn.
I love Vietnamese pho and bun so much I could eat it every day.
As a corporate lawyer I specialised in information technology and intellectual property.
The symmetry and repetition of industrial machines and equipment (cranes, pipes piled on top of each other, shipping containers in a port) mesmerises me. I don’t know why but I’ve always found those things sadly beautiful.
I used to ski competitively in high school. I was a good skier, and a crappy racer.
- Laini Taylor’s Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy. Such beautiful wordsmithing.
- Harry Potter series–so many thing I love but particularly JK Rowling’s ability to bring her setting to life.
- Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere. Love the villains. So dastardly and oddly lovable.
- Charlaine Harris’s Sookie Stackhouse series. Eric. Bill. Swoon! The series that started me down the urban fantasy rabbit hole.
NCIS, Arrested Development (oh that chicken dance!), Criminal Minds, True Blood (Team Eric), Supernatural (Team Winchester), Gilmore Girls (Team Logan and coffee coffee coffee), Outlander (Jamie Squarejaw Mooney-eyed Fraser. Yum.), My Love From Another Star (a Korean TV show that is AMAZEBALLS).
Fave Things (In no particular order)
- Rocking climbing
- Vietnamese food
- Hokkaido (the food! the scenery! the skiing!)
- My two pooches, our piggy black pug Deuce, and our Hong Kong rescue dingo-esque mongrel Obi.
- Cold, crisp, and dry Rocky Mountain air, especially in the winter when inhaling makes my nostril hairs freeze.
- Root beer